Rwanda Information Society Authority “RISA” is a government institution established in 2017, governed by the law No 02/2017 of 18/02/2017.
RISA has the mission of digitizing the Rwandan society through an increased usage of ICT as a crosscutting enabler for the development of other sectors "Championing Rwanda's Digital Transformation".
RISA derives from the former IT department of Rwanda Development Board, RDB. Currently, it is an affiliated institution to the Ministry of ICT and Innovation.
RISA has been put in place to be at the forefront of all ICT projects’ implementation and streamline research, infrastructures and innovation within the ICT sector. Furthermore champions the implementation of Smart Rwanda Master Plan initiatives.
Rwanda Information Society Authority is headed by the Chief Executive Officer and two deputies: Government Chief Information Officer and Government Chief Innovation Officer.
Rwanda Information Society Authority has the mandate of planning and coordinating the implementation of national ICT for Development Agenda. In this perspective, RISA, in partnership with stakeholders and partners work to digitize government services and ensure easy access by the citizens.
The main objectives of Rwanda Information Society Authority are as follows:
- To implement national Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) policies and programs in order to fast-track socio-economic growth;
- To implement strategies which expand the access and affordability of Information and Communication Technologies;
- To accelerate community development through mainstreaming Information and Communication Technologies in national socio-economic sectors;
- To prepare and coordinate programs that increase the required skills in the field of Information and Communication Technology in order to achieve a knowledge-based economy;
- To strengthen programs on Information and Communication Technology innovation;
- To coordinate the implementation of projects that deliver Information and Communication Technology services;
- To cooperate and collaborate with other regional and international institutions with a similar mission.